Noun(1) a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated(2) the ideal in terms of which something can be judged(3) a board measure = 1980 board feet(4) the value behind the money in a monetary system(5) an upright pole or beam (especially one used as a support(6) any distinctive flag
Adjective(1) conforming to or constituting a standard of measurement or value; or of the usual or regularized or accepted kind(2) commonly used or supplied(3) established or well-known or widely recognized as a model of authority or excellence(4) conforming to the established language usage of educated native speakers, American, British(5) regularly and widely used or sold
(1) this is standard practice in publishing(2) He proclaimed Jack to be the greatest ever, and Jack immediately became the standard against which I measured myself.(3) Political factors have often caused one dialect to dominate an area and then become a more stable standard language.(4) One way to reduce them is to keep everything in your plan to standard sizes.(5) One thing we would ask is for funding to be provided to maintain the new facilities to the required standard .(6) As a doctor who has been involved in this work, I would not endorse anything that would result in patients receiving a lower standard of care than they do now.(7) Any design that increases convenience makes recycling much more likely to become standard practice.(8) He followed that with Oracle of Geomancy and Terrestrial Astrology which has become the standard work on Western divinatory geomancy.(9) Through the committee's connections they were able to find performers of a high standard who offered their services for a minimal fee.(10) Such is the imbalance that a couple both earning the average wage in Edinburgh would no longer be able to secure a standard mortgage for an average house(11) your work isn't up to standard(12) Speakers of standard English can derive many of the same benefits.(13) Papilionaceous describes a corolla having a standard , wings, and keel, as in the peculiar corolla of many Leguminosae.(14) He introduced standard weights and measurements, revenue districts and officers.(15) But this Dutch was very rapidly developing away from the standard form of the language emerging at the time in Holland.(16) I can certainly accept that, as it is a standard business practice.
(1) standard of living :: življenjski standard
(2) standard deviation :: standardni odklon
(3) double standard :: dvojni standardi
(4) gold standard :: zlati standard
(5) living standard :: življenjski standard
(6) standard error :: standardna napaka
(7) standard form :: standardni obrazec
(8) non-standard :: nestandardnih
(9) industry standard :: industrijski standard
(10) standard of care :: standard oskrbe
1. normal ::
2. definitive ::
3. stock ::
4. received ::
5. quality ::
6. guideline ::
7. principle ::
8. flag ::
9. measure ::
10. criterion ::
11. banner ::
12. monetary standard ::
nonstandard, standard, standards
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
- It's STANDARD procedure. No one...
- Okay. All right, listen.
Breaking Bad Season 3, Episode 8
That's the STANDARD wash.
Breaking Bad Season 5, Episode 9
I'll tell you. We'd have the STANDARD
and the miniature poodle,
The Big Bang Theory Season 10, Episode 15
Eastern Standard Time.
The Big Bang Theory Season 11, Episode 14
a bossa nova STANDARD
on the harp?
The Big Bang Theory Season 5, Episode 2
English to Slovenian Dictionary: standard
Meaning and definitions of standard, translation in Slovenian
language for standard with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of standard in Slovenian and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'standard'
What standard means in Slovenian, standard meaning
in Slovenian, standard
definition, examples and pronunciation
of standard in Slovenian language.